Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ramadan ADs: Vodafone's Shokran


To get one thing clear, I have nothing against Vodafone. Sure they part took in the communication blockade during the revolution, but so did the other operators in Egypt, and recently, in other parts of the Arab World too.

I was never a Vodafone customer, and that said, this blog is strictly about advertorial content, and nothing else.

It just happens that Vodafone's advertising material provokes me and though I tried to resist, Ramadan's airtime is heavy with competition, repetition and of course, advertisements.


Vodafone Ramadan 2011…

The first thing that caught my attention about this campaign was the jingle.
An adaptation of  Darwish's Sheikh Qofa3a…which candidly made me sad. Because this is not only ridiculously commercial, but once again, it doesn't mean anything. It is just a catchy jingle, that is guaranteed to keep you tuned to the ad for at least a few times before you grow tired of it, and not only that, it guarantees that it will get stuck in your head.

Now, the second thing was the band on the truck. I do not know who the band is, although I can make a guess. But that is not the point. Do you remember last ramadan, when a local band made their video debut on Tarek Nour's Al Qahira wel nas? Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see the resemblance? 


As for Nelly and Samir Ghanem's appearance…I must interrupt myself and assume that something will follow this ad, like a sequel or something, because up to now, I can not make sense of it. 
Two big comedic super stars who have previously been synonymous with Ramadan TV are out giving their thanks to other superstars who have also been integrated in Ramadan culture since we were kids. 

Wait a minute, is Vodafone slowly attempting to rebrand Ramadan into some kind of western Thanksgiving? Is this it? Are we giving our thanks during the Holy Month and Vodafone is reminding us to be thankful? Hmm…I guess we might as well thank them for reminding us of the power within us that led to the revolution right?

No comments:

Post a Comment