Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ramadan ADs: Mobinil and the late Hassan El Asmar

This morning I woke up to the news of Hassan El Asmar's death due to a heart attack.
All I can say is that his last appearance on Mobinil's Ramadan commercial was a joy-bringing one.
I meant to review that ad before I heard of his death, and I meant to praise it, because advertising aside, it's a funny little clip that featured one of Egypt's great popular music singers. It's light, it's well produced and shot, it makes the point it's meant to make, and gives us a nice dose of Egyptian humor and song.

I enjoyed it alot. From the VO at the start, to the illustrated words on the T-Shirt, the split screen, the zoom out to El Asmar on the couch accompanied by the classic-looking accordion player, the lyrics and the acting.
It's a great ad, and a bitter-sweet last memory of El Asmar. May he rest in Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment