Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Vodafone's biggest mistake yet.



It is really quite sad, and pathetic, when an advertising agency helps a client ride the revolutionary wave and manipulate it, but it's an entirely different ballgame when they dare to even hint at the idea that their client had anything to do with it.

It is not only arrogant and obnoxious and offensive, it is delusional, when that agency is advertising for one of the mobile companies that took part in the communication blackout that Egypt experienced; Vodafone, the very one that sent us those pro-government messages, seems to think they can play around the timing of an ad that had nothing to do with anything but pure market competition.

I had reviewed Vodafone's kowetna ad in one of the very first posts of this blog...if I had a problem with them then, this redefines my anger, my disgust, and my shock, at how shameless these creatives and copy writers are, those people who literally sell their ethics and principles for money, for clients who have absolutely nothing to do with the Egyptian revolution yet time and time again, try to work around it and make it work for themselves and their businesses.

This might just be the worst mistake JWT has made. The biggest marketing flop. It is nothing short of despicable.

 - JWT made their video private at some point today, here is another link:



- and yet again, removed. However, thanks to andreasudo for repost and to IhateVodafoneEgypt for publishing and mirroring the post.  


Vodafone Egypt JWT Ad Taking Credit For #Jan25... by andreasudo

10 comments:

  1. I just attended a session today that included a speech for Amal El Masry,JWT's GM,talking about that campaign,positioning it as if it was part of the revolution somehow,almost puked a lil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking the minds of the people so lightly, this is real offensive video... Crap ewwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, could you please explain what happened in more detail? I'm just curious. When/How did JWT say this ad was for the revolution? I mean, I know its old. and I know whose idea it was, so how did they link them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. لا يا شيخ؟ - And this is all what I have to say about that! Hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe VF has nothing to do with it... The video looks like an internal presentation from agency to client.. The connection is completely unjustified but u can't blame the client for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. iHatevodafoneEgypt.com
    i'm RICO the guy behind iHatevodafoneEgypt.com Who is the person behind this blog?adverseree?
    Contact me on info@ihatevodafoneegypt.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Rico,
    I hope you understand I prefer to remain anonymous for the time being, but do let me know how can I help you?
    In addition, though belated, thank you for mirroring the post on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HORRIBLE! Absolutely HORRIBLE and such be-belittling of people's intelligence!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was belittling of course not be-belittling!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im RICO.. "S"
    I wanna talk to you..find a way..!!

    ReplyDelete